• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

The Slow Europe Contest 2019

Pauline

Forums Admin
Announcing our Slow Europe Contest 2019!

We have some great prizes from our supporters. Prizes are listed in this first post. How to enter the contest will follow. Accommodation prizes are vacation rentals offering a free week, or a 50% discount for a week. Accommodation prizes are offered in Italy and France. We also have a day with a tour guides in Paris and Rome.

THE PRIZES

summer-in-italy.jpg

Italy, Campania - Summer in Italy, 50% discount for 1 week (or more) for up to 9 people in Villa Gioconda, a 4 bedroom/4 bathroom villa on a hillside above Agropoli on the Cilento Coast, with private pool and view of the sea. (Minimum 5 nights, excluding July and August.) Reviews on Slow Europe. Thank you Luca for donating this prize!
Prize chosen by @Christian

sant-antonio.jpg

Italy, Tuscany - Sant' Antonio Country Resort, 1 week for 2 people in an apartment at Sant' Antonio, a converted 800 year old monastery located in Montepulciano, in the heart of the Tuscan countryside. (Stay must start on a Saturday; July, August and Christmas/New Year excluded.) Reviews on Slow Europe. Thank you Nico for donating this prize!
Prize chosen by @Georgia & Zig

valle-nuova.jpg

Italy, Le Marche - Valle Nuova, 1 week for 2 people in an apartment on an organic farm in countryside near Urbino. (If larger apartment is needed, pay the price difference at booking.) Reviews on Slow Europe. Thank you @Giulia da Urbino for donating this prize!
Prize chosen by @Jim Zurer !

european-experiences.jpg

France, Provence - European Experiences small group tours, 50% discount for 1 week in their 3 bedroom/2 bathroom village apartment (with terrace!) in Bonnieux, in the Luberon, Provence. Reviews on Slow Europe. Thank you @Kathy for donating this prize!
Prize chosen by @Doug Phillips !

aiolina.jpg

Italy, Tuscany - L’Aiolina, 50% discount on 1 week for up to 5 people in an apartment on an estate in the Chianti, near Siena. Thank you Cristina for donating this prize!

mas-perael.jpg

France, Provence - Le Mas Perreal, 1 week for 2 people in an apartment on an estate (mas) near Saint Saturnin-Les-Apt in the Luberon, Provence. (July and August excluded.) Thank you @Kevin Widrow for donating this prize!
Prize chosen by @SuzanneF !

san-cristoforo.jpg

Italy, Le Marche - La Casetta at San Cristoforo, 50% discount for 1 week for up to 4 people in this 2 bedroom/2 bathroom stone cottage near Cagli. (Note this prize must be used before end of 2020.) Thank you Peter for donating this prize!
Prize chosen by @VictoriaJZ

paris-find.jpg

France, Paris - Paris Find, one day private tour for up to 4 people in Paris with Michael Osman. Thank you Michael for donating this prize!
Prize chosen by @Kathy !

3millennia.jpg

Italy, Rome - 3 Millennia Tours - the winner chooses one of two options:
Option 1: one day private tour (up to 4 people) in Rome with Tony Polzer. (Tony is usually available in June, July, September, October; does not include Vatican tour)

Option 2: 50% discount on one day private tour (up to 4 people) in Rome from anyone on the 3 Millennia team. Thank you Tony for donating this prize!
Prize chosen by @SMJ !

italy-for-wine-lovers2.jpg

Italy - Italy for Wine Lovers - the winner chooses one of two options:
Option 1: 3 to 4 hours with wine expert Tony Polzer in Rome (wine tasting or wine dinner) or at your home if you live in the Philadelphia/Baltimore/DC area. (This includes the wine expert's time but not the cost of wine or food *see notes below.)

Option 2: 50% discount from the fee for 3 to 4 hours with a wine expert in Italy (wine tasting or wine dinner). We have wine experts based in Rome, Florence, Venice, Tuscany, Piedmont, Sicily, etc. (This includes the wine expert's time but not the cost of wine or food *see notes below.) Thank you Tony for donating this prize!
Prize chosen by @Linda Yoder !

*Details for Italy for Wine Lovers prize. This prize constitutes the wine experts time and does not include any wine or food. For the wine tasting or wine dinner, the wine and food will be based on the winner's interests and budget and will be payable directly to the wine bar or restaurant. Option 1 with Tony Polzer (Tony is a certified Italian Wine Ambassador) can only be redeemed while Tony is in Rome (Tony is usually available in June, July, September, October). For the in-home event in the Philadelphia/Baltimore/DC area, Tony will work with the winner to secure wine for the event based on the winner's budget. The in-home event can only be redeemed while Tony is Stateside (Tony is usually available from the November to May and all of August).

rome-is-home.jpg

Italy, Rome - Rome is Home, 3 nights for up to 2 people in their 1bed/1bath apartment near Campo dei Fiori in the heart of Rome. Thank you Massimo for donating this prize!
Prize chosen by @JustTravel !

chianti-cashmere.jpg

Italy, Tuscany - Chianti Cashmere, offers 2 people a chance to join them for a day in the Tuscan countryside. "Shepherd for a Day" is offered twice weekly from May thru October (not available in August) and includes a day-long trek with our herd of Cashmere Goats, wine-tasting, wholesome farm lunch in the garden, and more! Read more here. Thank you Nora for donating this prize!
Prize chosen by @Barb Cabot

croatia-hvar-apartment.jpg

Croatia, Hvar - Apartments Komazin Hvar, 1 week for 2 people in a luxury apartment close to the beach and town. (July and August excluded.) Thank you Andro for donating this prize and @Shannon for arranging it!
Prize chosen by @Andrew

sloweurope.jpg

Last, but not least - 3 prizes of a $100/£80/€90 Amazon gift certificate so you can purchase more travel guides.
Prize chosen by @phirhon !
Prize chosen by @marshajc !
Prize chosen by
@berliej !

Thank you to all our prize givers!

HOW TO ENTER THE CONTEST
Read how to enter the contest on this thread: https://www.sloweurope.com/community/threads/post-here-to-enter-the-slow-europe-contest-2019.4102/

GENERAL CONDITIONS FOR PRIZES
  • Prize is subject to availability and may be restricted to certain months (see prize description).
  • Prize may have restrictions on start dates/times (e.g. start on Saturday). Confirm these when booking.
  • For accommodation prizes, the prize does not include food and beverages. A tourist tax may have to be paid on site.
  • For tour guide prizes, entrance fees, meals and transportation are not included.
  • Prize must be used by April 2021 (2 years after the prize drawing) unless otherwise stated in prize description.
  • The prize is non-transferable and must be used by the winner unless other arrangements are agreed upon by prize giver.
  • The prize cannot be exchanged for money, or other items of similar value, or sold to third parties.

Last edited:
It is just over 3 months since the contest opened and now it is closed.

The drawing of the winners will take place tomorrow, Saturday April 13, at noon US Eastern Time, 5pm in the UK. It will take place on this thread.

There are 16 prizes and 44 people have entered the contest, so you have better than a 1 in 3 chance of winning.

I will email the 44 people who have entered the contest to remind them of the drawing tomorrow.

GailS was the first to enter, 5 days after it started. And Tony da Roma was the last to enter, 3 minutes before the deadline!!

Drawing Procedure
Tomorrow I will go online at 5pm UK time. Our neighbor Jerry will be with us to witness the drawing. I will have the names printed and cut into slips. These will be placed in the Tilley hat and tossed about. I will post a photo before the drawing starts.

Steve will draw 16 names, one at a time. As each name is drawn I will enter it on this thread. The first name drawn chooses their prize first, and so on. You have 48 hours to choose your prize. If you decide to pass, another name will be drawn from the hat and added to the end of the list of winners.

Once we have the list of 16 winners, I will email them with the contact information for all the prize givers so that the winners can contact them and ask any questions.

The List of People who have entered the Contest (44 entries, listed alphabetically by user name):
Amy
Andrew
Anne
artnbarb
Barb Cabot
berliej
BryanS
caliroan
Christian
ColleenK
Colo
Dennis
Doug Phillips
Eleanor
Frank Gerace
GailS
Galgano
Georgia & Zig
Jabez
jan
Jan55612
Jim Zurer
JMichael
JustTravel
Kathy
Linda Yoder
Lisa in Ottawa
maitaitom
marshajc
phirhon
PokeyMindy
Sandrac
scaltro1
Sharon J
sharonov
SMJ
susan
SusanSeattle
SuzanneF
Terry
Tina
Tony da Roma
Valerie
VictoriaJZ

Good Luck Everyone!
I am thrilled with the success of this contest! I think we have wonderful prizes and we received really great trip reports and resources from those who entered. The forums are busier these days (it is so hard to compete with Facebook and the big forums) and it is nice to see people talking about travel.

Thank you to all the members of the forums and those who entered the contest and those who donated prizes!

7F472382-8925-415D-9B7A-6D3A99DC0A7C.jpeg

Contest entry member names cut into slips.

08100AB3-22EC-481D-8A25-FF04E6D9AD01.jpeg

Check list (names were triple checked), names in jar (easier to shake around), Tilley Hat to be used (this is probably the one we used 15 years ago), British Airways Premium Economy eye mask (for Steve to wear when drawing names).

See you in 4 hours!

The winners in order (and the prize they choose):

1 @phirhon - Amazon Gift Card

2 @Andrew - Apartments Komazin Hvar in Croatia

3 @Jim Zurer - Valle Nuova in Italy

4 @Georgia & Zig - Sant Antonio Country Resort in Italy

5 @JustTravel - Rome is Home in Italy

6 @Doug Phillips - European Experiences in France

7 @VictoriaJZ - La Casetta at San Cristoforo in Italy

8 @Christian - Summer in Italy

9 @marshajc - Amazon Gift Card

10 @Barb Cabot - Chianti Cashmere, Italy

11 @SuzanneF - Le Mas Perreal, France

12 @berliej - Amazon Gift Card

13 @scaltro1 - pass

14 @susan - pass

15 @Frank Gerace - pass

16 @Eleanor - pass (withdraw)

17 @Kathy - Paris Find, France

18 @Sharon J - pass (withdraw)

19 @Linda Yoder - Italy for Wine Lovers

20 @Jabez - pass

21 @SMJ - 3 Millennia Tour

22 @Colo - L-Aiolina in Italy

Last edited:
Many thanks to Pauline for ingeniously managing to give me an Amazon voucher in Australian dollars. I will have a lovely time browsing the French travel section for books I would not normally buy, and maybe even get a Bruno book for some light relief.
Happy travels.

So far the difficult part of the prize selection is the winner getting in contact with the prize giver! I would like each winner to have contact with the prize giver before choosing the prize, just to ask any questions, talk about dates and to have that connection established. I chose a bad time to be doing this - Easter and Passover! I picked the dates based on my own travel and never thought to look at holidays. So, my apologies.

JustTravel is waiting to hear from one of the prize givers. Once she has talked with them, we will move along. The 48 hour rule is suspended now because of the holidays.

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina