• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Travel purse

While I was out today I saw a Baggallini display and I found the Hobo Tote, which could be a good option for a carry on. It is cross body style (with a long-enough strap) and could be a larger day bag without being huge. For a "hobo", it's not all that big. It would also hold a water bottle. It's not as cute as Chris' Provence bag, though.

I came home and found my way to the baggallini site and they are having a 50% sale - not all styles. http://www.baggallini.com/sale/ I'm not ready to buy yet - I think I'm waiting for Barb's purchases!

I like the look of that Hobo Tote! But I Do Not Need Another Bag. Maybe if I repeat that 100 times to myself I'll believe it.;)

There are better prices on many of the colors of that tote on Amazon. I like the purple.

Thanks, Chris! I see it on amazon, too. I sometimes go to the "home" site just to see all the options and sometimes the specs are better. I have an amazon gift card that's burning a hole in my pocket. Maybe I'll use it to buy a bag!!

Obviously I am on spring break and have time to virtual shop:happy: and post!

I'm sitting here perusing and "researching" and all of a sudden two things hit me:
1. WHY do I care about the water bottle feature? It's not like I'm going into the desert!
2. OH! I'm looking for two different things: a carry on AND a day purse! I am sure you all figured this out days ago!

Barb, here is another cute, canvas pack. My niece loves Sherpani http://www.ebags.com/product/sherpani/iris-backpack/271842?productid=10298524

And off I go!

Is it this one? Baggallini Helsinki Slim Light Shoulder Hobo Bag Crossbody?

I have two of the Baggallini foldable totes from years ago - similar to the Baggallini expandable tote . They came in 3 sizes and I always travel with the medium or large folded up in case I need an extra bag coming home.

I used a Baggallini carryon tote for years but replaced it with this that I bought in Nimes: Reisenthel Allrounder. This one is shaped like an old fashioned "doctor's bag" with one big space inside, no outside pockets. I don't know why I like it so much, but I use it on every trip for my carryon. (Mine is the mocha dots color.)

Pauline,
Yes, that's the one. I like the colors (and dots!) of your Allrounder. Haven't seen that one before!

I like both those bags!

That tote looks great. I have an REI computer bag that I don't use anymore (because now I travel just with my iPad and make Steve bring his small Mac which I use if I have to) - but I loved that bag.

The messenger bag is similar to my purse, but it looks like better quality and I like the strap that can't be cut (especially if you are in a city). Now, just remember to not hang your purse over the back of your chair!!

Right, Pauline! The chair is a no no. I think this bag comes w/a carabiner to "secure it to your chair". I'll probably go to leave and take the chair with me! AND it's secured to the chair so in a busy restaurant the pickpocket can be certain I'm not going to be able to grab it back very quickly. Kind of funny…

Do you just continue to wear yours? I do if the strap is long enough, but it can get uncomfortable. I don't keep REAL valuables in it, it's mostly for packing around the tissue, sunblock, etc. but still, I'd like to think I can keep it in my possession for an entire trip!

Chacalacha,
These bags both look like good contenders; I like all their features.
Even with the locks, I still wouldn't lock mine to a chair. Since I use a cross-body strap, I hook that over my knee, with the bag on my feet, or if I'm using a small cross-body one, I just wear it.

Like you, I don't keep my passport, debit card or credit card in it, only cash for the day. The best security pouch I've found is the zippered one with two loops that are meant to go over a belt. I usually wear separates and if I'm not using a belt, I can secure the loops with a good-sized safety pin inside the waistband of a skirt or slacks. Sorry if that's too much information;)

Do you just continue to wear yours? I do if the strap is long enough, but it can get uncomfortable. I don't keep REAL valuables in it, it's mostly for packing around the tissue, sunblock, etc. but still, I'd like to think I can keep it in my possession for an entire trip!
I usually put my purse at my feet but with the shoulder strap looped around my leg - the same as Joana. If it is a busy big restaurant, then I have it in my lap.

I remember a very well-traveled woman from ST who got her purse stolen because she had it over the back of her chair at a restaurant in Paris. I thought it that could happen to her, it could happen to anyone. I think sometimes you just forget that you need to be extra careful in some situations.

Steve used to put a fake wallet in his back pocket - an empty old wallet. But it was never taken.

This is such a fun thread. Women and purses. Well my little pac safe bag ( the one that falls off my shoulders if I wear anything slippery) locks to itself and to a chair. What a pain! If I lock the zipper, it takes me ages to unlock it. dDfinitely not a feature I use much.

I agree about the water bottle. I gave up carrying them unless on a hike. 2 different purses/ packs for sure. I'm going to look at the hobo.

Chacalacha,
These bags both look like good contenders; I like all their features.
Even with the locks, I still wouldn't lock mine to a chair. Since I use a cross-body strap, I hook that over my knee, with the bag on my feet, or if I'm using a small cross-body one, I just wear it.

Like you, I don't keep my passport, debit card or credit card in it, only cash for the day. The best security pouch I've found is the zippered one with two loops that are meant to go over a belt. I usually wear separates and if I'm not using a belt, I can secure the loops with a good-sized safety pin inside the waistband of a skirt or slacks. Sorry if that's too much information;)
Well I don't carry my passport with me. I'm always anxious about losing it no matter if it's in an apartment, a hotel or on my person. It was lost or stolen a couple of years ago when I was in Mexico and I do NOT want to go through that ordeal again. It doesn't really matter whether you have a copy as you still have to go through a huge thing to get a temporary one for travelling back home.

Anyway... debit and cc I generally carry one with me. How do I know how much cash I'll need. plus what if I saw a lovely purse that I needed to buy immediately....or..

Of course there was the time in Rome when I lost my debit....or was that stolen also....

I never carry my passport. I leave it in the hotel or vacation rental. I am too afraid my purse, with it in it, would be snatched. Probably I should carry a photocopy of it in my purse. I will do that this trip.

Just saw this.

Last fall, I treated myself to this bag

http://jpourse.com/p/500089.html

from J. P. Ourse. It's not cheap, but I love it. I got it to go to Israel last fall and it's perfect. I had a wonderfully substantial brown and black fabric bag from Borbonese (which I had never heard of) that I bought kind of by accident in Ascoli Piceno (wow, in 2007!) and that finally just wore out.

I like the Ourse bag so much that it's become my everyday handbag. Perfect pocket for phone, keys, small water bottle. The iPad fits in, but I find my iPad too heavy to carry for any length of time anyway. As most of my travel is fairy urban I find this is perfect. (I've tried baggalinis but they are just not me.) I like bags with inside and outside pockets.

Wow, I just realized that there are three pages to this thread. An interesting topic! And I never leave my purse on the back of a chair. I'm kind of paranoid like that.

I prefer a small cross body bag with zip closure. I usually travel with an older variation of this bag: http://www.zappos.com/hobo-Camilla. I can keep it in my lap in a restaurant and wear it cross body with the bag right in front on crowded buses, etc. where I want to keep a close eye on it. I do have an Eagle Creek messenger bag (no longer made) that will just hold this purse, my tablet and a book that I will also sometimes bring, mostly as my purse on flights but occasionally used if I need to carry a map or umbrella.

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina