• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Travel purse

That's a nice one too, but smaller than I need. The one I use can hold my very little umbrella. It's got the outside pocket that COULD hold a map, and does often hold a magazine or small book. For years I carried a "Streetwise Guide to [name a city] whenever I traveled. But now, alas, my eyes are too old and inflexible to be able to read one of those maps. So I use my iPhone as a map when I walk. Drains the battery, but it's great. (And of course now I use one of the smaller interior pockets in the purse for a juice-bar charger, a little cable, and a little UBS plug all in a baggie.)

Just realize I never actually posted this.....

My new tote arrived. I think it will be perfect for the "hand held carry on" or whatever it's deemed; for the things you need during the flight! I'll let you know after a trip; I also think I'll use it as an overnight bag here in town. I don't want to get too excited, as my current bag collection is a testament to the elusive "perfect" bag.

Next to arrive should be the new "purse" - which seems incredibly inferior and ugly compared to GGH (GailS's Gorgeous Hobo)...insert sad face here....But! I'm hopeful that the anti-theft Travelon does its job.

OK...the first one is too small - it's the one with the convertible straps, and because there's a zipper on the straps I can't tighten it up as much as I'd like - but it's too small anyway.

The other backpack is just the right size for what I want - it's the one that's sitting higher up on my back - because I could adjust the straps.

The last shot is of the Baggallini purse I found at TJMaxx....and I just might keep it. The purse I took to Florida to test out was too small, so I'm still searching. This one is a Highrise Crossbody, listed on the website at $59.95 and it was $24.99 at TJMaxx. I looked at the Baggallini Hobo Tote - it's bigger than the Highrise Crossbody - 16" x 10" x 6" versus 7.5" x 7.5" x 3". I'm not crazy about the brown color, but at least it won't show dirt!

Attachments

• 20150414_190759.jpg
    20150414_190759.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 56
  • 20150414_191227.jpg
    20150414_191227.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 52
  • 20150414_191413.jpg
    20150414_191413.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 55
Last edited:
Obviously I am on spring break and have time to virtual shop:happy: and post!

I'm sitting here perusing and "researching" and all of a sudden two things hit me:
1. WHY do I care about the water bottle feature? It's not like I'm going into the desert!
2. OH! I'm looking for two different things: a carry on AND a day purse! I am sure you all figured this out days ago!

Barb, here is another cute, canvas pack. My niece loves Sherpani http://www.ebags.com/product/sherpani/iris-backpack/271842?productid=10298524

And off I go!
I discovered that I do NOT like the flap/drawstring top backpacks at all, so that one won't work for me.

Barb I love your backpack! Good score on the Baggallini bag!

On zulily today they have the same Sherpani tote I just bought - but at $49 - instead of $78. I noticed there are only 10 left. It's only the pebble color, but...

Last edited:
Just saw this.

Last fall, I treated myself to this bag

http://jpourse.com/p/500089.html

from J. P. Ourse. It's not cheap, but I love it. I got it to go to Israel last fall and it's perfect. I had a wonderfully substantial brown and black fabric bag from Borbonese (which I had never heard of) that I bought kind of by accident in Ascoli Piceno (wow, in 2007!) and that finally just wore out.

I like the Ourse bag so much that it's become my everyday handbag. Perfect pocket for phone, keys, small water bottle. The iPad fits in, but I find my iPad too heavy to carry for any length of time anyway. As most of my travel is fairy urban I find this is perfect. (I've tried baggalinis but they are just not me.) I like bags with inside and outside pockets.

Ooh I like that leather bag. Ouch to the price. I have a small leather purse I'm taking to Italy. No pictures but unbelievably it was made in Toronto and not too expensive. I don't like the nylon bagagalinis. I popped by a store today that carries them and reconfirmed that not my cuppa. Plus they seem super expensive. Well, everything has gone up here in Canada b/c of our lowly dollar/ loonie.

I haven't left on my trip yet so I don't have any bag reviews...but remember how I was REALLY curious about that "Shouldit" thingy?? I know, I know - ridiculous, but then...who WOULDN'T want a secret pocket in a scarf? I mean, at the market for extra money? Out to dinner and don't want to bring anything but your Visa? Public transportation?

Well, I was at my local drug store the other day and they had secret zipper scarves!! They were only 7.99 so I bought one! I'll report back to let you all know if you're missing out on something "special" or if you all made the correct assessment.

OK, I guess I've lost my mind - but I just ordered another purse! Honestly, I am NOT a big purse person! I'm just searching for THE perfect one!

As I posted previously I found a brown Baggallini that I thought would be perfect....but after using it a while I'd rate it as maybe 7.5 out of 10. Then today I got an email from ebags and found THIS PURSE, which is just slightly larger, so I'm feeling like Goldilocks having purses that are too big and purses that are too small, still searching for one that's just right!. The Baggallini measures 7.5" x 7.5" x 3", and the new one is 9.4" x 7.8" x 3.9" The brand is Hedgren, which I've never heard of - anyone else?

Last edited:
I hated my travel purse on our Italy trip and I blame this thread. I used to be happy with it. Now I am thinking of trying a healthy back bag again. But I didn't like that style because it was difficult to set it down and open it.

I like that bagallini still Barb.

You're making me nervous! I have HIGH hopes for my bags and I know I'm going to be disappointed because as Lisa just said "pretty good but NOT perfect"...which kind of sums up all those "great" finds. The search is all-consuming.

FYI I don't know if any of you shop consignment or second hand but www.shopgoodwill.com often has brand new things. Since this thread I've seen new with tag Baggallini's and Travelon purses. I've ordered things from the site before and it always arrives as stated. It's kind of like a baby eBay, I guess. Even with shipping trying a brand new Baggallini for $25 or so seems easier than the $75 shop prices. But I know thrift shopping isn't for everyone.

The original Baggallini we were talking about measures 16" x 10" x 6" versus 7.5" x 7.5" x 3" for the brown one I bought in April, and the one I've just ordered from ebags measures 9.4" x 7.8" x 3.9" . For me, at 5'1", I think the original Baggallini is too big, at least judging from the pictures - but as we all know, you can't judge a purse by a picture!

I had a healthy back bag years ago and liked it, but for some reason stopped using it. As many have noted, the problem is that we tend to add more and more stuff, so the larger the purse, the more stuff we haul around - and the more our shoulders and backs ache!

BTW, I'm a big believer in thrift shops, but I do NOT support Goodwill, so I won't be using that site.

I'll let you know what I think when the new one arrives!

PURSE & CARRY-ON REVIEW...with a point for Chris on the silly scarf!

I absolutely loved my Sherpani "Wisdom" carry on...which is a "gym bag" according to specs
http://www.rei.com/product/866858/sherpani-wisdom-tote-bag-womens
It is so roomy in the body of the bag and you still have that room even if/when you fill the pockets on the outside. I have had some bags that seem roomy, but once you put things in the outside pockets you can never get back into the bag or vice versa. The outside pockets can fit bulky things, like a water bottle or travel pillow and there are two small zipper pockets on the end pockets for smaller things that might fall out otherwise. Inside the bag there are 3 other pockets that are narrower and deep and one small zipper pocket (but not tiny small). There is also a separate zipper section for laptop or tablet. If you are a light packer I think this could get you through a weekend. It easily fits under the seat or overhead bin. The one drawback is that you can overpack this and end up with a heavy bag.

I had a love/hate relationship with my Travelon "Anti Theft Classic Messenger Bag 42242" http://www.travelonbags.com/anti-theft/classic/anti-theft-messenger-bag
It's like the clown car of "purses" (I use that term losely - it's not fashionista's bag!) as you can carry just about anything you might possibly need for the day in it. I really wanted a travel purse that had a spot for a water bottle and I loved that this does- actually it has two, so I used one for my sun glasses and the other for water. I like the locking pockets; I just kept one locked, I also like the RFID pockets and the "anti-theftness" of it (cut proof). So where's the hate? Well, it is ugly...period. It is totally utilitarian but UGly! Will I use it again? Maybe-it's great for a long day out exploring sites that might require sunblock, camera, binoculars, money, etc. but in casual dress. I'm not ready to take it to the consignment shop...yet!

I never used my "secret pocket" scarf. At 100 degrees I couldn't even entertain the idea of a scarf. If I ever use it I will post a quickie review. But for now, Chris wins hands down!

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina