• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Where in Brittany to rent?

EdnaK

10+ Posts
Hi all,

We’re planning on going to Brittany in the early Fall for 2 weeks after spending a week in Paris. Any suggestions for a town to use for day trips? Is it feasible!

Edna K

We’ve been to Brittany twice and loved it. The first time we stayed in Cancale near St Malo. St Malo is very touristy but I still liked the area. Dinan and Dinard are nice towns in that area. The coast is beautiful, the seaside towns charming. This is the north coast, in eastern Brittany.

The next trip we were a week in La Trinite sur Mare to be close to the Carnac standing stones. Another great area and the stones and other prehistoric sites there are fantastic. This is on the south coast, in eastern Brittany.

Then we drove to Morlaix on the north coast but in western Brittany. I loved the town and we had a nice rental that @Ann recommended. Again a beautiful area. And a really great town.

I wrote Trip Reports for both trips and @Eleanor has some detailed reports. They are in the France Trip Reports forum.

Do a search in this forum too for Brittany because I was asking the same question two years ago.

We’ve been to Brittany twice and loved it. The first time we stayed in Cancale near St Malo. St Malo is very touristy but I still liked the area. Dinan and Dinard are nice towns in that area. The coast is beautiful, the seaside towns charming. This is the north coast, in eastern Brittany.

The next trip we were a week in La Trinite sur Mare to be close to the Carnac standing stones. Another great area and the stones and other prehistoric sites there are fantastic. This is on the south coast, in eastern Brittany.

Then we drove to Morlaix on the north coast but in western Brittany. I loved the town and we had a nice rental that @Ann recommended. Again a beautiful area. And a really great town.

I wrote Trip Reports for both trips and @Eleanor has some detailed reports. They are in the France Trip Reports forum.

Do a search in this forum too for Brittany because I was asking the same question two years ago.
Thanks for all the good info Pauline!! Can wait to wad it all.

If I had to choose two centres, I would pick one in the north and another in the south. That may seem the obvious thing but the two areas are completley different. There is all the megalithic stuff aroud Carnac and the stones really are amazing.

On the north you have the coastline and all the parish closes.

We had booked ferry crossings with Brittany ferries so used them for accommodation too. Actually you can't go far wrong, what ever you decide!

Decided to stay for 3 weeks so we would like 3 places which we can use for day trips. Bought the Michelin map ( so big ) and got a copy of the Green Michelin Guide and Brittany Eyewitness Travel Guide from the library. And the search is on!

Edna K

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Sponsors

Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina