• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

Miscellaneous Requirements for UK residents traveling to the EU have changed because of Brexit

Brexit has changed a lot of things for UK travelers. The UK is no longer part of the EU and UK travelers to the EU are now treated like all other non-EU travelers. I have outlined the most important below.

To Enter an EU Country: You may need to show proof of accommodation reservations or a return ticket to home to enter the EU (the first country you enter in the EU).

Passport: Must not expire within 6 months of the start of your trip.

Time allowed in EU: UK residents are now the same as other non-EU countries - you can visit the EU for 90 days out of 180 days.

Health Insurance: UK GHIC/EHIC health insurance cards (free to UK residents) cover your medical costs in EU countries, as they did before Brexit (this was negotiated in our exit deal). Read more. This covers only EU countries and does not include Switzerland, Lichtenstein, Norway, or Iceland. For those countries you need to purchase travel insurance that covers medical expenses.

International Driving Permit: “You do not need an IDP to drive in the EU, Switzerland, Norway, Iceland or Liechtenstein if you have a photocard driving licence issued in the UK.” Read more. You still need a check code for your driving license (online process to share your driving record).

Car Insurance: If you are driving your UK car into Europe you need extra insurance from the company you insure with. This is commonly called the Green Card and is in addition to your regular car insurance. This was needed before Brexit and is still needed now.

Mobile Phones: EU legislation requires mobile phone plans to work across the EU (no roaming charges) but this no longer covers the UK after Brexit. Check with your mobile provider. Most currently cover Europe travel but this may change.

Taking food and drink into the EU: “You cannot take meat, milk or products containing them into EU countries. There are some exceptions for medical reasons, for example certain amounts of powdered infant milk, infant food, or pet food required for medical reasons. Check the rules about taking food and drink into the EU on the European Commission website.”


The post-Brexit British blue passport.
Last edited:

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.


Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Travel Guides

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
How to Be an American in Italy by Jessica Scott Romano

Share this page