Castletown was the original capital of the Isle of Man, before it was moved to Douglas in the mid C19th. It still has many large and splendid buildings, especially around the Market Square.
Castle Rushen was built by the Norse rulers of Mann in the C12th as their power base in the south of the island. A settlement quickly grew up round the walls of the castle, which became the capital of the Isle of Man.
The town sits at the mouth of the Silverburn Burn.
Breakwaters were built to provide safe anchorage for fishing boats.
There is little fishing now, but small pleasure boats still moor in the inner harbour at the mouth of the Silverburn Burn, reached under a narrow swing bridge.
Queen Street with its brightly painted houses is the main road into the town from the south.
The old part of the town is around Castle Rushen and Market Square.
The tall monument in front of Castle Rushen is the Smelt Monument erected by public donation to the popular Lieutenant General Cornelius Smelt, who died in 1832. Unfortunately there wasn’t enough money for the statue.
Arbory Street is the main shopping area, with a selection of small family run shops.
Narrow alleyways run down to the shore.
Castletown Railway Station is on the edge of the town. Built of the local limestone it is a splendid building dating from 1874 and retains its goods shed and other station buildings. Trains regularly pass here.
Limestone for the castle and many other buildings was quarried at Scarlet Point.