• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.
Cromer is an attractive and popular seaside resort on the North Norfolk coast, famous for its pier and crabs.


Cromer began to develop as a sea side resort in the early C19th. Hotel de Paris overlooking the pier was originally a summer residence until it was bought in 1830 and opened as a hotel. It has since extended and taken over adjacent buildings.


The railway arrived 1877 and Cromer grew rapidly from a small fishing village to a summer resort with pier and large hotels and boarding houses along the front.


Many people were sent to Cromer on medical grounds as it was held in high repute for its air, known as 'dry and bracing' which was reputed to help in cases of rheumatism and chest and throat complaints!

A defensive wall was built along the sea front in 1838 after a massive storm washed away much of the area. This was further developed into a promenade. Cromer has a long sandy beach extending on either side of the pier.



Many of the buildings in Cromer date from that time with narrow streets dropping down to the sea and lined with attractive terraced housing.

Cromer High Street.jpg

There is still some fishing from Cromer, mainly crabs and Lobster, with boats launched from the beach. Crabbing off the pier is still a popular family activity. It has a Crab and Lobster Festival. There are display boards around the town with information about a fishing trail.


There has been a jetty or pier in Cromer since the C14th which was used by boats to load and unload cargo. A wooden pier was built in 1822 for early tourists but was washed away in 1843 and had to be replaced. This pier was also washed away in heavy storms in 1890. It was replaced by the present iron pier in 1901 at a cost of £17,00. It has survived many storms and gales since then.The original bandstand was later replaced by the Pavilion and Cromer pier is now one of only five piers to still have a theatre and pier show.

There has been a lifeboat station at the very end of the pier since 1923 and the present building dates from 1999.



Walls are lined with boards detailing call outs and rescues.

Cromer lifeboat calls.jpg

Near them is a lovely memorial stained glass window.


The Henry Blogg Museum inside the modern Rocket House at the end of the Espalande was opened by the RNLI and s named after the most celebrated lifeboatman in the RNLI’s long history. Henry Blogg served for 53 years on Cromer lifeboats and was responsible for helping save 873 lives. As well as telling rthe story of Henry Blogg and the history of the lifeboats, it also houses Cromer Lifeboat H F Bailey III which was used by Henry Blogg.

Cromer Museum is housed in a row of eight fishermen’s cottages adjacent to the Church, which were bought by bought by Cromer Town Council in 1967 for £1,000. It has displays of local history as well as geology and archaeology,

The lighthouse is on the cliff top to the east of the town. There has been a lighthouse in Cromer since the end of the C17th. Before that the church tower acted as a beacon for shipping. The present building dates from 1833 replacing an earlier building that had fallen into the sea. and was fully automated in 1990.


Parish Church of St Peter and St Paul

The church is in the centre of the town and was built in the C15th to replace Shipton Church that had been washed away by coastal erosion. It is remarkable for having the tallest tower in Norfolk. This had a beacon on the top to guide shipping, until it was replaced by the lighthouse. It was used for fire spotting during WW2. Peregrin falcons now nest on the tower.


By the C17th, the church was in very poor condition and much of the eastern end had collapsed. Serious consideration was given to demolishing the building. Fortunately it was restored in the late C19th by Sir Arthur Blomfield who rebuilt the chancel and repaired the nave and tower. The impressive hammer beam roof with its angels was his work.

The outside is impressive with its flint work, massive porch and decorative side aisles.



The inside is almost plain in comparison with an arcade of tall fluted pillars with pointed arches separating the nave and side aisle. At the back is the Cornerstone Cafe.



The area beneath the tower contains the font and is used as a children’s play area.


The hammer beam roof in the nave is splendid with its carved angels and carved stone corbels.




The Royal coat of Arms is displayed high on the nave wall


At the end of the south aisle is St Luke’s Chapel, reserved for private prayer.


The stained glass is regarded as the most impressive part of the church, particularly the Burne Jones window in St Luke’s Chapel. This was damage during an air raid in 1942 and has been fully restored.


The large west window depicts the crucifixion.


The lovely west window was added in 1959 and shows the Ascension.


The windows in the south aisle are great fun as they depict local scenes as well as a lifeboat and a tribute to Henry Blogg.



The Church is open daily from 9-4 and the Cornerstone Cafe is open during the summer months, Tuesday - Thursday .


How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.


Booking.com Hotels in Europe
AutoEurope.com Car Rentals

Recommended Guides, Apps and Books

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
French Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
She Left No Note, Lake Iseo Italy Mystery 1 by J L Crellina

Share this page