• CONTACT US if you have any problems registering for the forums.

South West Plymouth

Plymouth is a modern city. Much of the city centre was destroyed by bombing raids in WW2 and has been completely rebuilt with wide streets and rather uninspiring 1960s architecture.

P5300573.jpg


Plymouth has a long history stretching back to the Bronze Age and has been an important trading port since Roman times. A town grew up around Sutton Pool.

P5300601.jpg


Little remains of the early C15th castle built to defend the town and harbour from attack by the French. It was replaced by the Royal Citadel, a star shaped fort built in 1665, during the wars between England and the Dutch. It is one of the few surviving examples of a permanent C17th fort in England. Guns and a garrison protected the seaward approaches to the naval anchorage at Sutton Pool, as well as guarding against land attack.

P5300621 copy.jpg


It was used as the headquarters of the Coast Artillery Training Centre during WW2 and is still used by the military. Access is by guided tour only.

P5300614.jpg


A naval dockyard opened at Devonport in 1690 The neighbouring town of Devonport became strategically important to the Royal Navy for its shipyards and dockyard, hence the 59 devastating bombing raids in 1941. As well as destroying much of the town, 4448 civilians were injured and 1178 killed.

Both city churches were destroyed. Charles Church is still a roofless ruin and now the centre of a roundabout.

P5300575.jpg


St Andrews church was also reduced to a roofless shell but was rebuilt after the war.
P5300572.jpg


Cont...
 

Eleanor

1000+ Posts
For those prepared to look, there is still a surprising amount of old Plymouth surviving around Sutton Pool and the Barbican, the area around the old port with its narrow cobbled streets and Tudor and Jacobean buildings. This is where the Pilgrim Fathers set sail on the Mayflower in 1620. Known as the Mayflower Steps, this is marked by a small viewing platform overlooking the quayside. The Mayflower Museum close by tell their story
1656084312725.jpeg

P5300580.jpg


P5300592.jpg


P5300586.jpg


P5300588.jpg


The Plymouth Gin Distillery building on Southside dates back to the early 1400s and was originally a monastery belonging to the Blackfriars.

P5300587.jpg


P5300582.jpg


The Elizabethan House is on New Street and was originally built as a letting house with rooms for rent and is now open as a small museum.


P5300593.jpg


Near it are the delightful Elizabethan Gardens, tucked away through small doorway at 40, New Street, next to the New Street Gallery.

P5300595.jpg


These were laid out in 1970 for the 350th celebrations of the sailing of the Pilgrim Fathers and to try and show what the original gardens may have been like.

P5300602 copy.jpg


A corridor leads into a lower paved garden

P5300598.jpg


Steps lead up to a small enclosed garden with a mulberry tree.

P5300607.jpg


Stone steps drop down into the fountain and knot gardens.

P5300606.jpg


An archway with a carving of a ship leads through into a small hidden area behind the knot garden.

P5300608.jpg


Prysten House behind St Andrew’s Church, is the second oldest building in Plymouth after the church, dating from about 1500. It was built by the Yogge family, who were wealthy merchants over the site of an old well (which gave its name to Finewell Street). The family had given money to the church for the building of the tower, so were allowed to build over the well although they still allowed the locals access to it. The family lived in part of the house, using the rest as storerooms.

P5300576.jpg


Nearby on St Andrew’s Street, is the Merchant’s House which was built in 1601 for William Parker who was the Mayor of Plymouth and a friend of Sir Francis Drake. This was a museum but has been closed for sometime awaiting repairs.

P5300578.jpg

P5300577.jpg


Plymouth Hoe behind the Citadel with Smeaton Tower and Drake’s Statue, was fenced off when I visited as staging was being erected for a Jubilee Open Air concert later in the week.

P5300620.jpg
 

Eleanor

1000+ Posts
St Andrew’s Church

St Andrew’s Church on Royal Parade was the original parish church. There has been a with a church here since the C8th, which was replaced by a stone church in the early C12th. This church was enlarged in the C15th to accommodate the increasing population of the town and a tower was added.

The church was badly damaged in bombing raids in 1941 and left a roofless shell. Only the walls, pillars and tower survived. The next morning, someone had placed a wooden board over the north door with the word RESURGAM, Latin for ‘I will rise again’. The rubble was cleared and the area laid out with lawns and flower beds. A covered table was placed at the east end to act as an altar. The church became known as the Garden Church and open air services were held here for six years. Money was raised and, unlike nearby Charles Church, St Andrew’s church was rebuilt, being reconsecrated in 1957. Its crowning glory are the wonderful stained glass windows by John Piper.

P5300552.jpg


Entry is through the north porch, still with its RESURGAM sign.

P5300571.jpg


Inside is is a large church with arcades of slender pillars separating nave and side aisles.
P5300558.jpg


P5300566.jpg


At the back beneath the tower is a cross lit with 1178 light bulbs, one for each civilian killed in the bombing raid. The stained glass was dedicated to the memory of Waldorf, 2nd Viscount Astor who was Lord Mayor of Plymouth and a Freeman of the city. It represents the Passion of Christ.

P5300553.jpg

On the lower walls of the tower are funeral hatchments and the Royal Coats of Arms of both Charles I and Charles II.

P5300557.jpg


P5300556.jpg


The walls of the side aisles are covered with memorials

P5300570.jpg


St Philips’s Chapel in the north transept has the remains of a C12th Purbeck marble effigy of a knight.

P5300564.jpg


The lovely stained glass window represents Music with two harps.

P5300565.jpg


The simple stone font is by this chapel.

P5300567.jpg


The Lady Chapel is at the end of the north aisle and the stained glass window represents the Virgin Mary. In the centre is a ‘rose without a thorn' and the mirror at the bottom represents purity.

P5300563.jpg


The chancel is small with a wrought iron rail round the altar. The East window is dedicated to Lady Astor who was the first woman MP and represented Plymouth from 1919 -45. It represents the four elements of air, fire, earth and water.
P5300561.jpg


P5300562.jpg


St Catherine’s Chapel is at the end of the south aisle and the stained glass window has the wheel, the symbol of her martyrdom. In the four corners are the symbols of the four Evangelists. The top small lights have the images of other saints and martyrs.

P5300560.jpg


The stained glass in the small chapel in the south transept represents the Trinity. The fishes represent Christ. The dove is the Holy Spirit and the hand at the centre is the hand of God.
P5300559.jpg


Website
 
Last edited:

How to Find Information

Search using the search button in the upper right. Search all forums or current forum by keyword or member. Advanced search gives you more options.

Filter forum threads using the filter pulldown above the threads. Filter by prefix, member, date. Or click on a thread title prefix to see all threads with that prefix.

Recommended Travel Guides

52 Things to See and Do in Basilicata by Valerie Fortney
Italian Food & Life Rules by Ann Reavis
Italian Food Decoder App by Dana Facaros, Michael Pauls
How to Be an American in Italy by Jessica Scott Romano

Share this page

Top